Sustainability comes from the heart of Exploration Travel and everything we do should support People and Planet in Myanmar. It's not just what we say; it's what we believe and there for the first article in our terms & conditions is about sustainability:
Making a positive impact on People & Planet in Myanmar
It’s extremely important to us that everything we do as a company does have a positive impact on People & Planet in Myanmar. This includes but is not limited to limiting the use of plastic, ensuring suppliers & staff are paid fairly and in time, respecting local culture, law, customs & practice. If in any way, the behaviour of a traveller or the operation of a tour somehow damages the impact on People & Planet, Exploration Travel reserves the right to cancel a part or the full tour and replace it with another experience.
As a company we have the opportunity to do a lot of good. Exploration Travel aims to maximize the positive effects that tourism can have on individuals and local communities, while minimizing the negative social, environmental and economic impacts.
At Exploration Travel responsible travel practices are at the core of our product development and operations. We also have made a firm commitment towards social and environmental sustainability of our business.
In practical terms, Exploration Travel ventures adhere at a minimum to the following principals in the field and in its offices. This is a work in progress. If you have suggestions on where we can improve, please do let us know!
In our offices
We aim to make our offices inspiring, healthy and safe work environments. As part of our commitment to sustainability you will find that in Exploration offices:
- We are working towards reducing waste and managing it in a responsible way.
- Where possible, we use recycled materials.
- We use local products where we can and buy in bulk to reduce packaging.
- We measure our energy use and look for ways to reduce it.
- We limit our printed materials and encourage our clients to use our web sources as their primary source of information.
- We value our employees and are committed to a clear policy that safeguards and advances their wellbeing.
- We share best practices and raise awareness for social and environmental concerns and allow for staff to engage these problems.
In the field
Our business is providing amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experiences for our guests. This happens throughout the country from remote mountain areas, to large cities, national parks and at tourist attractions. In this vast environment you will find that Exploration Travel:
- Prefers to use local hotels, lodges, restaurants, handicraft outlets, arts and culture centers to best serve our clients.
- Is consistently looking for creative ways to integrate social enterprises into our programs, allowing fringe communities to benefit from the tourist dollar.
- Actively helps local people to set up their own tourism business and become a sustainable supplier ranging from providing home cooked lunches to travel agencies, cooking class or small restaurants.
- Takes responsibility for our supply chain, by educating and supporting our suppliers to greater sustainability.
- Is regularly assessing its supply chain to ensure that activities offered do not have adverse effects on the environment or society, especially sensitive activities that may bring travellers into contact with animals, children or remote communities.
In addition, Exploration employs and trains local guides and educates them on issues relating to Responsible Tourism. Exploration Travel also understands that the destinations we operate in are important to not only our travellers, but also the locals that call them home. We aim to preserve the destinations we work in for future generations.
Exploration aims not only to provide outstanding service but also educate, so they are able to make more informed decisions when travelling and help to ensure people and planet in Myanmar benefit from their visit.